Saturday, August 11, 2012

Party Time!

 Three years ago, I awoke to find something heavy laying across my face. As I lifted it off, I realized it was my own hand. Slowly it all started coming back to me. I had been drugged. And then someone told me I had a baby, and it was a boy.

It is amazing what a little morphine can do to you.


Rescue Nathan Day was really not that dramatic. But it was incredible! Becoming a Mommy for the first time is something words cannot describe. And Nathan has left me speechless so many times since.


Last night, Danny and I rigged up a little surprise outside of his door. As I crawled in bed, I tried to silence my motherly instincts that were screaming, "You are traumatizing you son!" knowing that I tend to be a little over-sensitive myself. I finally fell asleep, camera at my side, hoping to capture some first impression photos come morning.

I skipped the first impression because I was too busy trying to talk down a toddler at 6:30am. I awoke to the desperate cries of a little boy wondering why he was greeted by an avalanche of "liming" (lightning) crashing down on his head and imprisoned in his dark room. Never mind the attack was with balloons and crepe paper. After some convincing that this is what "fun" means, he mustered up the courage to push through the already-disintegrating paper and make his way to freedom.





















I believe I have heard that three is a year of drama. I am already convinced.


Since we just moved here, we were not planning on really having a party for Nathan. They say kids don't really remember birthdays, etc., until about four, right? Well, apparently Nathan started inviting kids from around the neighborhood to a party *he* was planning. Kids asked parents and parents asked me. So how could I refuse? There is nothing like planning a party in 6 days.


  

 

  

 

 My wonderful husband dreamed up the idea of having a bike parade. We invited the kids over for flag painting, bike decorating and a horn-blowing parade around the neighborhood.

Everyone came back to our place for peanutbutterjelly cones, hummus and cheese (Nathan's main staples), followed by an ice cream sundae bar. I think the parents were just as elated as the kiddos.

Before the chaos ensued, we enjoyed our 2am efforts.
Nathan and our wonderful next-door neighbor!
Trying to get a mid-party shot.

I had an apostrophe, but it fell off. 

We had a wonderful time meeting new families (yes, we only actually knew ONE family there...the other two families we just walked up to and asked them to come to the party. SO glad they did)! Nathan felt so special. And the best part is we get to celebrate again next weekend when we go see the MONSTER TRUCKS at the county fair!

What Makes Nathan...Nathan! 3.0

~you have a sick obsession for watching surgery on Daddy's iPad.
~you refer to body parts as tibias and "fibias" and intestines and veins and "castles" (capillaries)...
~you like to try to understand or figure out whatever scares you, to be in control.
~you eat anything! from lentils to kale to meatballs to basil straight from the plant.
~you want to do it right the first time.
~you are gentle and nurturing.
~you are easily frustrated with yourself (and sometimes Mommy and Daddy).
~you love reading (especially Berenstain Bears and Jesus Storybook Bible), digging in the dirt with your trucks and building Goliath with blocks.
~you love to swim in the big pool (finally) as long as you feel in control.
~you still love to cuddle! PLEASE DON'T STOP!


Happy Birthday, my sweet boy.


No comments:

Post a Comment