Monday, September 13, 2010

Great is Thy Faithfulness

I am lacking in eloquence at the moment and still have a lot of processing to do, but wanted to be sure to get the word out on how good and gracious God has been to me this week.

Last Monday I was walking with my mom, a very good friend, my mom's two giant poodles and Nathan (in the stroller) when I was hit by an SUV going about 30mph (so he said). While I don't remember much of what followed, I heard that the seventeen year-old driver left the scene and went home, later to return with his family. I lay on the ground, 30 feet from where I was hit my head bleeding from the impact. Nathan remained in his stroller a ways down the road. Upon hitting the curb, his stroller tipped backward (oddly enough, since you'd think it would go over sideways as it hit the curb that way). The stroller was crumpled under him, but he lay virtually unharmed on top. I do remember him crying...

From my perspective all I seem to remember is his crying. I remember touching my head only to find it wet with blood. I don't remember the pain or fear. I only really remember the sensation of my hands raised and singing Great is Thy Faithfulness. The Lord was ever and only before me. I was completely at peace knowing my soul belonged to Him.

I've been told the ambulance soon arrived and I gave report on myself ("28yr old female struck by an automobile" or something like that) and instructed the EMS on how to place a c-collar and roll me on the the backboard properly. I lost consciousness on the way to the hospital and don't actually remember anything consistent until I was in my room on the Trauma Unit later that night. Slowly bits and pieces come back to me, but I am in no hurry to remember it all!

The Lord in His mercy was pleased to protect Nathan and me that night. It seems impossible that being struck in the back by an SVU going 30+mph, flying 30 feet and landing on the curb would produce only minimal injuries. I escaped with only a head lac that required 12 staples, some pretty ugly gashes on my shoulder and all across my back, a sore ankle and a nasty concussion. God is good! I was in the hospital for a while, and my family was so good to care of Nathan who, by the way, rode to the hospital on a backboard but went home soon after with nothing more than a dose of motrin for a pinched finger. I am so grateful He spared my life and Nathan's too. His protection and goodness are far greater than I can comprehend.

I serve a mighty God. A God who delights in saving the lost and healing the sick. A God who will work His purpose even in me. I continue to praise Him with hands raised high. Please praise Him with me. He is good.

Psalm 34

1 I will extol the LORD at all times;
his praise will always be on my lips.

2 My soul will boast in the LORD;
let the afflicted hear and rejoice.

3 Glorify the LORD with me;
let us exalt his name together.

4 I sought the LORD, and he answered me;
he delivered me from all my fears.

5 Those who look to him are radiant;
their faces are never covered with shame.

6 This poor man called, and the LORD heard him;
he saved him out of all his troubles.

7 The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him,
and he delivers them.

8 Taste and see that the LORD is good;
blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.

6 comments:

ABOUT XIN LEI said...

Sweet girl, praise God that you are ok! I just heard about the accident from the Lederhouses yesterday! Wish I could be closer to help you out while you recover...hugs!

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness, Meghan!!! Praise the Lord that you were not hurt worse! And it makes me want to cry just thinking about little Nathan... but the angels of the heavenly realm were there to protect you both. They probably got mangled as they threw themselves between you and the SUV. :) We will be praying for your physical recovery as well as the mental processing of all that has happened. I wish I could give you a hug, and Danny too - that must have been the scariest phone call he has ever gotten in his life! What a relief to know you're ok.

Love from the Abuhls

Lauren Gyorfi said...

Reading your post I am in tears. I kept waiting to find somewhere in your writing that you were just kidding, that nothing like this could really happen, it was just a bad dream. I'm so sorry your little body is having to heal from this and sorry for the pain I know this has caused you and your family. You all are in our thoughts and prayers.

Unknown said...

My dearest Megs! I was reading this thinking the same thing as Lauren. I am praising the Lord right along with you that you and little Nathan are ok. We will be praying for a speedy recovery as well as time to process. I am in awe of how God miraculously protected you. Much love to you all!

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable! Your faith in God and reliance on Him is inspiring. I am so glad you are ok. I wish I could be there to put band-aids on you and give you chicken soup or something...

Crystal said...

Meghan I had no idea about this accident! I'm so glad you and Nathan are okay...what a scary ordeal. You are right, God is so good and he protects us even when we don't think it's possible.

Post a Comment