Tuesday, August 18, 2009

the fastest seven days...

I cannot believe a week has already gone by since Nathan was born! I already feel like time is going so fast. I find myself, in the middle of the day, realizing there are only 2 more feedings left until tomorrow (that seems to be how I tell time these days). I look at my little guy and want time to just stop. I miss him after he has been down for nap--I cannot wait to stare him in the eyes again. I had no idea I was capable of this kind of love.

We returned home last Friday after 3 1/2 days at the hospital. It was a wonderful homecoming. Margot fell in love and has been following Nathan around since. It was an easy transition and felt good to be home.

In the past week Nathan has already changed a lot. He may still look like a little old man, with his wrinkly forehead, bald noggin and loose jowls, but he is starting to fill out. He has gained a pound a day since we left the hospital, putting him at 7lb 15oz. He has gotten used to the diapering thing and only screams to warn us that the geyser is about to go. I have yet to provide sufficient protection from this natural wonder. His little knuckles look more like knuckles and less like dimples. He is sleeping 3-4 hours between feedings and hardly fusses at night. Who knows how long this will last, but for now I will cherish it.

We had our first bath on Sunday and Nathan was a champ. He especially loved having his back scrubbed. And I never thought I would be one of those parents who oo'd over their child's first poopoo, but today Nathan sneezed and a little booger flew out! I got way more excited than the event merited and was glad to be in the privacy of my own home.

Words cannot express how I feel about my little man. My big man (that would be Danny) has been such a great dad, taking every opportunity to love on Nathan. I am sure it must be hard to work 16 hours a day so far from his little prince, but somehow he makes it through the day and comes home with energy for us.

My mom is here to help however she can. She has made some great meals and offered great encouragement and solicited advice. She has ran the errands I am not allowed to and kept me (mostly) obedient to my post-op instructions. I am so glad to have her here. But today she bought a carry-on bag with little air vents and a mobile hanging from the top--this kind of concerns me.

This weekend Kathy, John and Danny's brothers (well, a few of them) are coming to visit. I am so excited for them to meet their grandson/nephew. You really have to see him to grasp how incredibly handsome he is and how sweet he tastes!

Sorry for all the long posts. I am overwhelmed by all of the love and excitement I am feeling right now. I am sure that very soon Nathan will need more of my time, so I will take this time to sing my love of him while I can.

my sweet pea!

He sleeps just like ME!



Margot loves her new baby brother.
Napping with Daddy on Sunday afternoon.

Nathan getting his back scrubbed during his bath. This was his favorite part.
We made it to the end!

Kisses after a wonderful first bath.

One week old today!

Lovin' the bouncer seat I recovered. I especially love the leopard print loin cloth. Like father, like son...

2 comments:

ABOUT XIN LEI said...

He totally has your beautiful eyes! Thanks for the update :).

*the Jones family* said...

He's precious!!!

Post a Comment