Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Settling in

I cannot believe that it was 14 days ago that my life changed so dramatically. I can't imagine what I did with all my time before this beautiful boy to stare at all day. Each day seems to fly by as Nathan's head gets rounder and his motor skill get stronger.

We had the delivery video made into a DVD because the tape unwound in the camera and someone played with it instead of listening to the Wolf Camera guy's instructions...so we had to put 15 minutes of video onto a DVD for $32. To be honest, I would have paid $320. We watched it this weekend when Danny's family came to town. Though it wasn't the delivery I dreamed about--painful, exhausting contractions climaxing to an unbearable yet unbelievable finale--there was nothing about that day that disappointed me. Captured on video is my total disbelief and elation. I could hardly open my eyes--it was too much to take in. And to see Danny's reaction was priceless. He, too, was speechless. And giddy. Even though I was there, I feel like I could watch it over and over again.

So much has happened since then. In the past week, Nathan has:

  • lifted his head 90 degrees, he can turn it from side to side while laying on his belly and even keep the pacifier in his mouth while doing it!
  • started to stare at me in the eyes which elicits some of the MOST PROFOUND FEELINGS I have ever experienced.
  • realized he has vocal chords. Nathan seems to always be humming or testing his range. He loves to make noise, but rarely fusses. There is a period of about 2-3 hours at night when he is only happy if he is out on a walk or eating (just like his mommy). I have always found that a good walk followed by a good snack is the best way to go, and so far Nathan agrees.
  • behaved marvelously for numerous outings (this of course says nothing about my parenting skills, only his will to sleep). He went to church on Sunday and made it through the first hymn and the Apostles Creed before politely asking to go to the Mother/Baby room. There we sat for the remainder of the service, listening intently to the sermon.
  • grown! I am sure his head is bigger and we went to put a pair of pajamas on him yesterday and he couldn't straighten his legs in them! We find out next Tuesday exactly how much he has grown. Until then his is keeping fit by eating and sleeping, mostly.

So that is my update for the week. Wish you all could be here to see him!


Nathan dreaming about playing with Margot.


Nathan gets ready to go to the gym.


About to go to church.


Nathan's milk mustache.


He's growing up so fast!

1 comment:

WoRds/WoNDer said...

Congrats! He is gorgeous. I am so happy for you all-especially for a safe & healthy delivery!

Post a Comment